Fossil Free Eugene and Lane County is a grassroots campaign that depends on the power of our diverse coalition of local organizations and the support and passion of engaged people like you!
One of the most impactful ways you can support a frack free future is to make your voice heard and speak to your local representatives – the Mayor and City Council. Find our more on how to testify below. You can also email your testimony to firstname.lastname@example.org or find contact information your city council member here to contact them directly.
Eugene City Council meets bimonthly on the second and final Monday’s of each month (may be changed month to month due to Holidays). Find the most current information and link to join on their Public Webcasts and Meeting Materials page .
Sign up to testify by filling out the form on the Public Webcasts and Meeting Materials page by scrolling to the bottom of the meeting page at which you are going to testify. You must sign up between 7:00-7:35 PM on the day of the meeting.
Prepare your testimony in advance. You will typically have 2.5 minutes to testify which is about 300-375 words typed. Please contact us for our most current testimony guide or for help crafting your testimony.
Tips for Testifying:
- Address the council formally, starting testimony with: “Mayor Vinis, City Council, and City Manager Medary… thank you for providing this opportunity for testimony. My name is [NAME] and I am a resident in Ward [Ward #]…”
- Turn on your camera and make sure to look presentable and professional.
- At the beginning of your testimony, reference any special qualifications or life experiences that you have (ie “I am a teacher at a 4j school” “I am a grandparent” etc.)
- Don’t try to cram too much information in.
- Make it personal
- Harms related to climate change (heatwaves, wildfires, etc)
- Harms related to health effects of methane gas
- Always end your testimony with a final thank you.